The east London Patient Record (eLPR) shares ‘read-only’ patient records across health and community organisations in the 5 London boroughs of Waltham Forest, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Hackney and City of London, as well as with GPs in West Essex.
The Health Information Exchange (HIE) has been implemented to facilitate continuous improvement in the delivery of direct patient care.
- Federated Record Locator Model The East London Patient Record shares patient information across different organisations in the network using the Medical Interoperability Gateway (MIG) and Cerner’s Health Information Exchange (HIE).
- Health and care professionals view patient records through existing clinical systems, with no additional log on process.
- The information is shared at the point of request and provides an up-to-date view of the record.
- Patients give their consent to view the record at the point of care.
- Federated Record Locator Model The MIG and HIE share information using a hub and spoke model.
- Enables real-time information sharing without changes to local systems (e.g. at GP practices) using a record locator.
- There is no central data repository.
- Records can be viewed in context by clicking a link within the core clinical systems with no additional log-in.
- Provides a read-only, single-view of the patient within the existing clinical systems.
- The record includes access to:
- Patient medications
- Hospital attendances
- Discharge summaries
- Outpatient letters
- Test results
- Future appointments
- A cross community information governance agreement was chartered.
- A Waltham Forest East London and City (WELC) information governance committee has been established.
- Patient letters shared with GPs using Messaging Exchange for Social Care and Health (MESH), a complimentary solution.